Pictorial Postcards – India – Khajurao
A pictorial Postcard showing the Sanchi Stupa Monuments and the Pictorial cancellation on Sanchi Stupa.
Sanchi is located in Indian state of Madhya Pradesh about 45 Kms NE of Bhopal. It has the large group of Buddhist and Hindu monuments from 3rd BC to 12 AD. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Sanchi is one of the important places of Buddhist pilgrimage. The ‘Great Stupa’ at Sanchi was originally commissioned by the emperor Ashoka the Great in the 3rd century BCE. Its nucleus was a simple hemispherical brick structure built over the relics of the Buddha. It was crowned by the chatra, a parasol-like structure symbolising high rank, which was intended to honour and shelter the relics.
Today, around fifty monuments remain on the hill of Sanchi, including three stupas and several temples. The monuments have been listed among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites since 1989.
A British officer in 1818, General Taylor, was the first known Western historian to document (in English) the existence of Sanchi. Amateur archaeologists and treasure hunters ravaged the site until 1881, when proper restoration work was initiated. Between 1912 and 1919 the structures were restored to their present condition under the supervision of Sir John Marshall.